Zarte Siempre is the 2017 CoBris champion – read our report here!
Last year’s winner, Jack Hurst, features below with hosts Mark and Jeff – want to be holding the winner’s shield in 2017? Read on to see how you can sign up…
Date: Saturday 18th February 2017
Venue: Bristol County Sports Club, 40 Colston St, Bristol BS1 5AE (Website; location)
Start time: 10am
Presented by: Series 70 champion and 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown star Mark Murray, and new dad Jeff Clayton (congrats!)
Games to be played: 7
Finishes by: 6pm
Wheelchair accessible?: Yes ♿️
CO:BRIS 2017 has been confirmed for Saturday 18th February.
How to play:
In a change to previous years, entrants will compete in a Swiss tournament of seven 9-round matches (LLLN, LLLNC). There is no elimination so everyone gets to play all day and, as the day goes on, players will be drawn against each other according to their performance. As ever, this will be played out in our traditional classroom setup, in pairs facing our big screen graphics.
Players will be ranked according to number of wins, total points scored, and +/- points difference. After seven matches, the top two players will go through to the tournament’s showpiece 15-round Grand Final.
Doors open at 9am for a 10am start, with free tea & coffee available on arrival. A buffet lunch will be provided at 12:30pm and light refreshments will be on sale from the bar throughout the day. Please advise of dietary requirements, where necessary.
The Grand Final starts at or just after 5pm, and we conclude with the prizegiving by 6pm. Prizes will be on offer for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.
Admission still costs just £15pp and you can secure your place now:
– By PayPal (firstname.lastname@example.org– please ensure that you select the “family/friends” option, otherwise a transfer fee is deducted and the full amount payable will not come through.
– By phone (07527 907065);
– By cheque (address available on request).
We have capacity for 40 contestants, and spectators are also welcome. Numbers were near capacity in 2016 so please book early to avoid disappointment.
How to get there:
The Club is in a prime city centre location:
– If you’re travelling by train, get off at Temple Meads and high frequency bus routes 8 & 9 (up to every six minutes combined) depart from the station forecourt. These will drop you off at the Hippodrome just a short walk from the venue.
– If you’re coming by car, you can avoid the cost of city centre parking with the Park & Ride buses from A4 Bath Road, A4 Portway and Long Ashton — please check http://www.travelwest.info/parkandride for details including times of last buses back to the car park.
Where to stay:
There are a lot of hotels around central Bristol, but parking can be an issue. The ones below are just some of the hotels in Bristol, but there are more.
– Travelodge Anchor Road: – hotel parking £7.50 for 24 hours.
– Hotel Mercure: (on-street parking can cost approx £4; secured NCP £15/24hrs).
– Hotel Ibis: £10/24hrs parking at nearby car park.
– Premier Inn: (no on-site parking)
– Holiday Inn.
After the tournament:
Following the popularity of post-tournament meals at Za Za Bazaar over the last couple of years, we will go for a meal there again in 2017. The table is booked for 8pm and the price is £16.99pp. Payment can be made in advance by PayPal to email@example.com. If you wish to combine this with your admission fee then the total is £31.99pp. Again, please ensure when sending money by PayPal that you select ‘pay to family/friends’, otherwise the full amount will not come through).
I’m happy to answer any questions. If you need any help with planning your journey or your stay, you can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you there!
2016: Jack Hurst
2015: David Barnard
2007: Chris Wills
2006: Chris Wills
2005: Conor Travers